Monday, February 21, 2011

Introducing Ranginui Teddy-U



Kia ora koutou ko Ranginui Teddy-U toku ingoa.
  Room 7 has a new student.  He's cute and cuddly. 
His name is Ranginui Teddy-U.  (He's named after Ms Tereu's favourite university lecturer - Ranginui Walker) He's going to help us LEARN HOW TO LEARN.  Ranginui is going to teach us 16 Habits of Mind that we can use when we need to learn something new or when we face a problem that needs to be solved. 

The first Habit of Mind we are learning is:
Persistence


Successful learners don’t give up easily. If it
doesn’t work one way they try another.

Persistence is hard work but we're up for the challenge here in Room 7. 


Ranginui's Story...

Kia ora Whanau

Ranginui here...well this story isn't really mine, but it's what I saw Ms Tereu have to do when she learnt how to drive.  She will admit it hasn't been easy for her.  But she's able to drive herself around town and she loves it. 

Ms Tereu showed persistence by practicing her driving even though she was really scared.  She also had wonderful supporters who would encourage her to stick at it.  They would give her advice and help her to learn the road rules.  Ms Tereu still has a lot to learn with driving (like parking straight hahahahaha).  But, she'll stick at it because that's what persistence is all about.


So, to all you wonderful followers of our blog, share your stories with us about how you show persistence when faced with new learning.


PS:  If you want to know more about the Habits of Mind follow this link.

http://www.instituteforhabitsofmind.com/what-are-habits-mind

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Ranginui Teddy-U! Hi room 7. I know your new student will be a great help in teaching you. We have a pony in our class and her name is Polly, we take turns to take her home for holidays then write stories about what we did when we had Polly at our place. Very cool Room 7.

    Laterz
    Jada and Tyla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Ranginui and Room 7, hi Jordan :)

    I enjoy reading about what Room 7 is learning. Persistance to me is all about "keeping on, keeping on". For example, when I was young I saw some awesome shoes in the shops. My parents had already bought me shoes and said I did not need new ones. I really wanted the cool shoes so I looked for ways to save money to buy them. I managed to get a job delivering newspapers, the Waikato Times, around Tokoroa. I had to get up early in the morning to deliver the papers before school. It was hard work getting up early, and cycling up hills, but I really wanted to save money so I kept on going. Persistance helped me to save enough money for the uber cool shoes. Well, Nomads were cool back then hehehe.

    Have fun Room 7, From Jordan's Aunty Bernie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persistance is so cool!! It can achieve world changing results. Check this out.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm8GWdpMQUE
    CYA ROOM 7

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Room 7, My name is Jaslene Tereu, Ms Tereu is my Cousin.

    My Son, Storme is 16 years old and we live in Ipswich, Australia. He use to go to Strathmore school when he was younger, right now he has a big head full of messy afro hair!.

    I have tried everything to get him cut it but he wont!. I will not give up though because I'm persistent,

    I've asked him nicely,

    Ive tried to bribe him by giving him a lolly if he cuts his hair,

    Ive even tried to take him to his favourite Barbershop but he say's "No, No, No".

    He is VERY persistent also!

    So I told him, "How about you PERSISTENTLY clean your room then!" hahaha.

    ReplyDelete